Monday, September 19, 2011

Introduction to Turtles (Sea Turtles, Terrapins and Tortoises)

[Click on image to view in full size]

For a long time, I didn't know that turtle is a general term given to sea turtles (penyu), terrapins (tuntung) and tortoises (kura-kura). The main difference of these turtles are that sea turtles are salt water creatures, terrapins are freshwater creatures and tortoises live on land.

I can't believe it but when I was a kid, I probably owned a terrapin.... you know small "tortoises" that you purchase from the pet stores.... well I guess even the pet stores don't know how to differentiate them back then... I am wondering whether do they still label them terrapins as tortoises these days?

If you would like to read more about the these turtles, there is a very good article with great details about them at Wikipedia. Link to wiki here.



If you find this article useful, please help spread the word by sharing it with your friends.

References:
  • www.turtleconservationcentre.org/resources/educational-posters
  • wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle
[Images have been taken and used with permissions from Turtle Conservation Centre (TCC)]

2 comments:

  1. The poster was borrowed from the website of the Turtle Conservation Centre, where 7 more educational posters are provided. Visit the following site for the full complement of posters:

    http://www.turtleconservationcentre.org/resources/educational-posters/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prof Chan,
    I asked Pelf for some info and she asked me to use those already created info posters.

    I will be featuring the rest of the related posters in the up and coming posts leading up to our Marine Awareness event.

    Thanks once again for your help and support.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete