Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Introduction to River Terrapins

[Click on the image above to view in full size]

From what I understand, there are only 2 types of terrapins in Malaysia, and both are endangered.
Pelf from TCC updated me with the following info
There are a total of 18 species of freshwater turtles and tortoises in Malaysia (the non-marine ones). We at Turtle Conservation Centre focus on two species of terrapins that can be found in the Setiu and Kemaman Rivers.

The terrapins are endangered due to 
  • People collecting the eggs to be sold or eaten
  • Development has destroyed some of their natural habitat
  • Terrapins are also caught and sold or exported

When I was a kid, I am very sure I had one of these painted terrapin. I am sure I still see these terrapins being sold in pet stores or even in the pasar malam. I'll check to see whether are these legally caught or bought from a terrapin farm (if there is such a thing).

If you would like to learn more about these cute terrapins, please do visit the Turtle Conservation Centre website, or make a trip to their Mini Turtle Museum in Setiu, Terengganu.


Directions to Setiu can be found here.

[Images provided and used with permission by Turtle Conservation Centre (TCC)]

No comments:

Post a Comment